February 19, 2019 • Anna Griffin
For today’s Tutorial Tuesday, we are going to show you how to turn your Empress and your favorite embossing folder into a printmaking machine! Let’s create something beautiful together!
AG701 3D Ornamental Embossing Folders- https://annagriffin.com/product/product-24/
AG722 Empress Diecutting and Embossing Machine – https://annagriffin.com/product/empress-machine/
5×7 card stock, 3 sheets
Cotton swabs, paper towels and wet wipes
Tips for making a great impression:
1. A fresh ink pad and a clean brayer are essential to getting a clean print.
2. Roll the brayer in to and over the ink pad. Repeat until the roller is evenly covered in ink.
3. To deboss the ink into the design, roll the brayer over the base of the embossing folder in long, even strokes. Repeat as needed to cover the raised part of the design.
4. Use a cotton swab to remove excess ink from small areas and a wet wipe to clean the edges.
5. Put the paper on top of the clean side of the folder and gently close it. Add 2 pieces of paper on top of the folder and put the stack in between the 2 Empress A Plates. Run through the machine. Carefully remove the printed paper.
7. For an extra sparkle, add embossing powder to the inked image while the ink is still wet. Use a heat tool to set the color and reveal an extra shine.
6. To ink the background of the folder, ink the top of the folder instead of the bottom.
You can use this technique with any of your embossing folders, but our 3D folders will give you that extra depth and dimension. Experiment with different ink colors and don’t forget your paper shims!